Sunday, March 15, 2009

Narcolepsy

Narcolepsy - According to the Mayo Clinic web site:

Definition

Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder characterized by overwhelming daytime drowsiness and sudden attacks of sleep.

People with narcolepsy often find it difficult to stay awake for long periods of time, regardless of the circumstances. Narcolepsy can cause serious disruptions in your daily routine.

Some people mistakenly attribute symptoms of narcolepsy to depression, seizure disorders, fainting, simple lack of sleep, or other conditions that may cause abnormal sleep patterns.

Narcolepsy is a chronic condition that doesn't go away completely. Although there's no cure for narcolepsy, medications and lifestyle changes can help you manage the symptoms. And talking to others — family, friends, employer, teachers — can help you cope better with narcolepsy.


I believe that I suffered from Narcolepsy for a while. About a year and a half ago, I started falling asleep while driving. I was not sleepy/drowsy... but as soon as I started driving, within a couple of minutes, my head would fall. You know the "nod." I'd be singing along to the radio and suddenly I'd be veering back onto the road. It was horribly scary. No matter what I did, or how I struggled, I could not stay awake.

It wasn't only while driving. It was anytime that I sat down for more than a minute or two. I'd fall asleep at meetings, sitting on the couch, at my desk. I tried chewing gum or drinking beverages... that helped a little, but I had to do it continuously or else I would fall asleep again. I started having to talk on my cell phone the entire time I was driving so that I could stay awake.

At the time, I was probably getting 6 to 7 hours of sleep per night. That's pretty good, seeing as how I have two children. At the time, they were ages 4 and 1. I would fall asleep around 9pm, even though I had always been a "night owl," and wake up early (with the help of an alarm clock) to lead a small group exercise class.


Suddenly, about a year ago, the Narcolepsy ceased. I do not know why. Nothing seemed to really change in my routine, except for the early morning exercise class... though I was still exercising in the morning.

Will the Narcolepsy return? I'm worried that it is on it's way...

No comments:

Post a Comment